HISD’s VIPS Orientation and Background Check Instructions
Part 1. Use the notes below to assist you with completing HISD's VIPS Orientation.
- Click the button below to complete HISD's VIPS Orientation Training
2. After you complete the course you will receive your course certificate to download and save for your records.
3. Scroll to the bottom of this page to click on the English or Spanish application that will take you to the background check page.
Part 2. Follow the instructions below to complete HISD’s Background Check.
1. Read the information on the Welcom page and select next.
2. Fill out your information on the Personal Information Page and select next.
3. On the School Preferences Page, select Attucks Middle School and Fondren Middle School and select next.
4. Select "mentor" on the Function Page, and select next.
5. Scroll to the bottom and in the box input "Choose to DO, Inc." on the Organizations Page, select next.
6. Sign on the Disclaimer Page and select next.
7. Submit your information to the HISD's VIPS portal and select finish. Read part 3 below.
Part 3. Use the instructions below to assist you with send your emailed results to email@example.com
Once you complete the HISD Background Check, you will immediately receive an approval email from HISD or it can take up to 3 weeks for a response. Below is an example of what the acceptance email from HISD will look like. Be sure to also check your spam folder for your acceptance email.
Subject: Re: Volunteer Application Approved
Congratulations Houston Independent School Volunteer,
Your volunteer application has been APPROVED. You are all set to begin volunteering in HISD schools for the current school year. Please be sure to take your Certificate of Completion (click here) and your valid photo ID with you to the school. The schools Volunteer In Public Schools Coordinator/Back Up will be able to assist you with signing up for volunteer opportunities at the school. We look forward to working with you on the volunteer activities you selected. If you have any questions, please contact the District Volunteer Coordinator by email or telephone etc……..
Part 4. Once you receive the results from your background check, forward your acceptance email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteers are unable to work with our youth until we receive your background check.
Approved volunteers will receive a welcome email from Choose to DO, Inc.
For questions about your HISD background check, contact VIPS@HoustonISD.org.